Library Student Advisory Board
Undergraduate and graduate students who serve as advisors on the Board share their ideas, opinions and experiences of using the University Libraries. They have the opportunity to advocate for the perspectives of student library users and make a positive impact at Texas Tech. Advisors have the following responsibilities:
- Provide their personal input on current and new library services, spaces, resources, events and policies
- Participate in user research projects to evaluate library services
- Promote library services, resources, and events to fellow students
The Board meets 3 times during each fall and spring semester. During the 2021–2022 academic year, Board meetings will be held the third Tuesday of the month from 6–7:30 pm:
- September 21
- October 19
- November 16
- January 18
- February 15
- April 19
To support distance student participation, all advisors have the option to join meetings virtually. Advisors also meet individually with User Experience unit employees on a monthly basis to participate in usability tests, feedback sessions, surveys, prototyping, or other user experience research methods.
Comments from past advisors
- There were a couple things and services that I was not aware of until I joined the Board. I truly enjoyed our meetings and appreciate it that our feedback was taken into consideration for improving the library features and services. It brings a great satisfaction and sense of accomplishment to represent student body while also serving the library.
- I loved seeing some of the changes the Library has made such as moving periodicals to the main floor.
- I enjoyed meeting new people from different colleges and expressing my new ideas to the whole board!
- [Enjoyed] having a voice in decision making for the Texas Tech campus and learning more about services available for students.
- I really liked the discussions and how everyone was able to share their experiences with the group.
- It felt good knowing my opinions were valued and taken into consideration. I also appreciated the support I felt, like it was a group of friends.
Apply to join the Board
If you're interested in improving Library services, apply to become an advisor. The application period for 2021–2022 has closed. We will open applications for the next academic year in August 2022.
Please contact Kimberly Vardeman with any questions regarding the Library Student Advisory Board.