Mission | Vision | Values
To promote excellence in the practice and scholarship of theatre and dance.
The School of Theatre and Dance at Texas Tech University fosters the highest standards of scholarship and creative activity, providing opportunities for students and faculty to work actively in both areas. We champion training and education in a breadth of specialized programs, encourage students to cross boundaries between them, and prepare them for careers in both practice and pedagogy. By integrating theory, artistry, performance, and scholarship, and striving to promote an inclusive and equitable environment, the School serves as a vital force in the cultural and intellectual life of our communities.
The School of Theatre & Dance, while pursuing the highest standards of artistry, professionalism, and collaboration in arts training, education, and scholarship, will strive to create a progressive, equitable, and inclusive environment that encourages cross-pollination between disciplines, breaks silos between the School, the campus, and the larger Lubbock community. Mindful of creating a sustainable work culture, the School will nurture the excellence of our students and faculty regionally, nationally, and internationally.
The School of Theatre & Dance will:
- Offer innovative theatre and dance programs that will attract excellent students, faculty, and staff
- Prepare students who are confident and competent, able to think critically and creatively, and who will become leaders in their profession
- Identify opportunities to serve the community, while distinguishing ourselves regionally, nationally, and internationally
- Contribute to a pluralistic society that celebrates and amplifies a diversity of identities, perspectives, and histories
- Continue to pursue professional opportunities for faculty and staff to contribute to growth
- Revise our curriculum regularly to maintain the best in current pedagogical practices
The School of Theatre & Dance values and is committed to:
- Collaboration and communication
- Respect for and responsiveness to the needs of students, faculty, and staff
- Highest standards in critical thinking, writing, and diversity of ideas
- Academic, artistic, and intellectual freedom
The Texas Tech University School of Theatre & Dance seeks to foster an environment that elevates the values of critical reasoning, self-reflection, investigation, inquiry, and creativity, we wish to inspire empathy and an ethical framework through which artists and scholars can most profoundly impact society.
The School of Theatre & Dance encourages in-depth dialogue that supports a diversity of thoughts, invites a constellation of perspectives and experiences, and honors the richness of identity. We as faculty, staff, and students stand against racism, xenophobia, homophobia, sexism, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, classism, ableism, hate speech, ageism, and actions that silence, threaten, marginalize, or degrade others.