School of Theatre & Dance
Master of Arts
M.A. in Theatre Arts
The Master of Arts in Theatre Arts degree prepares students for further graduate work (in either a Ph.D. or an M.F.A. program), for teaching at the community college or secondary level, and for analytical positions within the profession (such as those of dramaturg or literary manager). It requires a minimum of 36 semester hours beyond the baccalaureate. This includes 15 hours of MA core courses, 15 hours of electives, and 6 hours of thesis work. Completion of the MA degree requires a thesis and a final examination.
The core requirements of the MA in Theatre Arts develop key competencies in academic research and writing, while electives ensure a familiarity with a broad range of artistic and administrative skills. Wide ranging coursework allows students to explore future possibilities. In addition to rigorous preparation for scholarly work, our program uniquely offers the opportunity for students to pursue their interests in acting, directing, design, playwriting, and arts administration.
What Sets Us Apart
The MA in Theatre Arts is a bridge from undergraduate theatre arts study to professional achievements in a multitude of areas. Students also have the opportunity to take what they learn at the MA level and pursue a PhD program in variety of theatre and related programs.
Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST)
Apply through the Texas Tech Graduate School Application Portal
- Provide transcripts from all previous college-level study
- Provide all required supplemental items:
- 3 letters of recommendation, preferably from sources in theatre or dance
- Official GRE score report
- Payment of required application fee
- Scholarly writing sample (minimum of 750 words), preferably on a theatre or dance topic
- Statement of Purpose
- Elaborate on your academic, artistic, and/or professional interests and goals specific to the program of study you wish to pursue
- Briefly describe the aspects of your background relevant to your interest. This could include your undergraduate studies, previous graduate study, and/or professional work.
- For deadlines and more information, please see our Theatre & Dance Graduate Admissions Page
Higher Program Offering
Should students choose to continue their training at Texas Tech, the School of Theatre & Dance offers the Ph.D. and a full range of M.F.A. degrees.
ONLINE CATALOG INFORMATION