School of Theatre & Dance
BFA Acting Prescreen Audition Requirements
Students interested in declaring for the BFA Acting program for the 2023-2024 academic year must submit a prescreen audition via Raiderconnect. Create your account there, then select APPLICATIONS and choose the College of Visual & Performing Arts Application at the bottom of the page.
This audition will also serve as a scholarship audition for prospective students interested in applying for School of Theatre and Dance scholarships provided you apply by December 1, 2022.
Additional University-wide scholarships and external scholarships can be found on the Scholarship Webpage
Each piece should be filmed/uploaded as a separate piece of media. No continuous videos.
- There should not be a separate "slate" video. Instead slates are to appear at the beginning of each piece. The proper slate for a song is to share your name, the song title, and show in which it appears.
- The proper slate for a monologue is to share your name, the title of the play, and the playwright.
- Monologues must be from a published play.
- Monologues cannot be from television shows or movies.
- Each monologue file should be 60-90 seconds in length (this time limit includes the slate at the beginning of the piece and is strictly adhered to; please do not upload media files longer than 90 seconds).
- No accents, please.
Two, 60-90 second monologues.
1 Contemporary (written after 1950); Contemporary monologue should be filmed in a "close-up" shot which means the top of the head to the chest should be visible in the frame.
1 Classical (written before 1950, heightened text encouraged); Classical monologue should be filmed in a "full body" shot which means the top of the head to the feet on the floor should be visible in the frame. Only perform Shakespeare if you feel comfortable doing so.
Wild Card (Required)
Submissions should be no more than 60 seconds.
This media can be ANYTHING you want: a special skill, an interesting story about yourself, a poem, something self-authored, an instrument that you play, etc. What do you want us to know about you? The floor is yours.
BFA Acting Callbacks
The invitation-only callbacks for students interested in the BFA ACTING/BFA Musical Theatre program for the 2023-2024 academic year are February 11, 2023. To meet deadlines regarding applications for university and departmental funding, and to facilitate potential travel plans, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit all pre-screening material and apply to the university itself before December 1, 2022. All applicants selected for program callbacks will be notified on or before February 3, 2023.
BFA program callbacks will be held on campus.
Rachel Hirshorn-Johnston, Head of Acting/Directing, with questions concerning the BFA program.
Contact your Advisor
Senior Academic Advisor
School of Theatre and Dance
AddressTexas Tech University, School of Theatre and Dance, Box 42061, 2812 18th Street, Lubbock, TX 79409-2061