For Transfer Students
Committed to your success.
Our commitment to you as a transfer student has never been stronger as evidenced by
our recent naming to the Transfer Honor Roll by the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.
What this means is that we are recognized for excellence in developing pathways for
you that ensure a smooth transition to Texas Tech.
Start working with our pre-transfer advisors even before you get here! We'll help you research your academic options and guide you through a variety of decisions while you attend your current institution. Whether you plan to transfer from a two-year or four-year institution, we'll help make your transition to Texas Tech a success.
1. View the online catalog and select "Academic Degree Program" on the lefthand menu.
2. Select your department, then click on your degree program to view your degree plan.
Complete an application for admission.
Submit required and/or supplemental documents.
Optional Supplemental Items:
Check your application status!
Create a RaiderConnect account to get an update on your application status, upload documents or register for events hosted by Undergraduate Admissions.
We will only consider coursework in progress for the long term prior to your term of entry (summer not considered) in order to provide a decision on your application for admission.
If you are applying for a fall term, we must have final grades for all coursework taken the previous fall and prior;
If you are applying for a spring term, we must have final grades for all coursework taken the previous spring and prior;
- If you are admitted with work in progress, your decision will be conditional.
- You can attend orientation and register for classes for one term with a conditional decision
- When we receive your final transcript, if it has grades that bring your GPA below our minimum, your decision can be revoked.
- If we are still missing a final transcript for the prior term on the 12th class day,
a registration hold for the following term will be placed on your account and all
final grades must be submitted to resolve that hold.
If you are completing a domestic admissions application but have international credential, required documents must be provided in English. If official English translations are not supplied by the applicant's institution(s), the applicant must provide a translation done by an American Translators Association-certified translator. A list of ATA-certified translators is available online here.
If you are a veteran or active duty military, please submit your Joint Service Transcript so that your military experience and training can be evaluated and credit awarded.
Applicants to Texas Tech University must be eligible to return to their most recent
Once you've submitted your application for admission and required documents, your application will be sent to our professional staff for consideration. Texas Tech issues decisions on an assured basis along with a holistic evaluation of your credentials. Both of these processes are outlined below.
If you present the required combination of transferable hours and GPA below, you are assured admission. GPA is cumulative for all transferable courses (including dual credit) from all schools attended. Courses taken for grade replacement are used for GPA calculation only if the same course is repeated at the same institution where it was originally taken.
|Transferable Hours||GPA Requirements|
|12-23 hours||2.50 cumulative|
|24 or more hours||2.25 cumulative|
If you do not meet assured admission requirements but have at least a 2.00 cumulative GPA, an admission committee will evaluate your potential based on other criteria.
- Academics – types of courses taken and pattern of progress, as well as coursework taken leading toward major
- Student-submitted essay – explanation of the decision to transfer to Texas Tech, reasons for past academic performance and plans to ensure future academic success
- Extracurricular activities/employment – leadership and work experience, special talents or awards, other information relevant to the admission decision
- Students with a cumulative GPA or transferable credit hours below requirements or
who haven't taken college coursework in the past two or more semesters are encouraged
to explain circumstances that have impacted their past academic performance and to
submit an essay.
Admission Requirements for Specific Colleges
Some academic colleges and departments at Texas Tech only accept students who meet assured admission requirements. College entrance requirements are subject to change and are listed in the .
- Architecture 3.0 GPA
- Biology, Cell & Molecular Biology, Microbiology 2.5 GPA
- Business 15 hours + 2.75 GPA
- Community, Family & Addiction Sciences 2.5 GPA
- Engineering 24 hours + 3.0 GPA
- Honors College 3.5 GPA
- Human Development & Family Studies 2.5 GPA
- Interior Design 2.7 GPA
We strongly recommend that you provide a high school transcript for your file. This will be used for advising and for satisfying foreign language requirements in some majors. This is only a mandatory admissions requirement if you have completed fewer than 12 transferable hours after graduating from high school.
International applicants have additional requirements. Call the International Admissions office at 806.742.3667.
Every student attending Texas Tech for the first time must show proof of a meningitis vaccination.
Admission applications are accepted beginning July 1 for Fall admission and June 1 for Spring admission. Decisions usually take 2-4 weeks. If you have any questions regarding the application or enrollment processes, contact your admissions counselor here.
- Transfer Scholarships
- FERPA Policy (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974)
- Summer Scholarship Program
- Withdraw Application