Mission | Vision | Inclusion
To promote excellence in the practice and scholarship of theatre and dance.
The School of Theatre and Dance at Texas Tech University fosters the highest standards of scholarship and creative activity and provides opportunities for students to work actively in both areas. We champion training and education in a breadth of specialized programs, encourage students to cross boundaries between them, and prepare students for careers in both practice and pedagogy. By integrating the practical and the scholarly, the School serves as a vital force in the cultural and intellectual life of our society.
The School of Theatre and Dance will exhibit and promote the highest standards of artistry, professionalism, diversity, and collaboration in arts training, education, and scholarship.
The School of Theatre and Dance will:
- Offer innovative theatre and dance programs that will attract excellent students, faculty, and staff
- Prepare students who are confident and competent, able to think critically and creatively, and who will become leaders in their profession
- Be a cultural force in and for theatre and dance, locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally
The School of Theatre and Dance values and is committed to:
- Collaboration and communication
- Respect for and responsiveness to the needs of students, faculty, and staff
- Highest standards in performance and academics
- Critical thinking, diversity of ideas
- Academic and intellectual freedom
The Texas Tech University School of Theatre & Dance seeks to foster an inclusive and equitable environment that celebrates diversity, demonstrating solidarity with those at most risk. In elevating the values of critical reasoning, self-reflection, investigation, inquiry, and creativity, we wish to inspire empathy and an ethical framework through which artists and scholars can most profoundly impact society.
The School of Theatre & Dance encourages in-depth dialogue that supports a diversity of thoughts, invites a constellation of perspectives and experiences, and honors the richness of identity. We as faculty, staff, and students deplore racism, xenophobia, homophobia, sexism, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, classism, ableism, hate speech, ageism, and actions that silence, threaten, marginalize, or degrade others.