Lara Mandrell is an instructor of professional communication and the director of the
business communication program. For more than 10 years, Lara has taught business communication,
introducing students to managerial-communication concepts and strategies and offering
practice through workplace simulations. Since 2015, she has relied on her training
in instructional design, usability, and accessibility to deliver her courses exclusively
Lara earned her B.A. in English with secondary education emphasis and M.A. in technical communication from Texas Tech University. She taught all levels of high school English before joining the Rawls College of Business in 2009. As part of her teaching role there, she served as a consultant in the Snyder Center for Business Communication, working one-on-one with undergraduate and graduate students as well as faculty to develop their writing and speaking projects. She joined the College of Media & Communication in 2018.
In addition to teaching, Lara is a digital faculty consultant for McGraw-Hill Education, helping peers across the country to effectively employ digital teaching tools. She is also a freelance copyeditor. During the school year, Lara volunteers with Education Connection as a literacy partner for elementary students, facilitating the goal that all children read by third grade.
PCOM 3373: Business Communication (Online)
Leadership & Awards
- Game Day Professor, Texas Tech Softball. 2021.
- Continuing Appointment, Texas Tech University Office of the Provost. 2021.
- Faculty Fellowship, TeMPO, TTU Teaching, Learning & Professional Development Center. 2021.
- Favorite Professor/Student-Athlete Graduation Breakfast Attendee, Marsha Sharp Center for Student Athletes. 2018.
- Favorite Professor/TECHSPY Awards Invitee, Marsha Sharp Center for Student Athletes. 2012.
- Travel Grant, Texas Tech University Worldwide eLearning. $1,000. 2016.
- Distance Learning Grant, Rawls College of Business Distance Learning Task Force. $3,000. 2015.
- Managerial Communication Service Award, Rawls College of Business Area of Management. 2012.
College of Media & Communication
AddressTexas Tech University, Box 43082, Lubbock, TX 79409