Texas Tech University

Off-Campus Eligibility

As a friendly reminder...

The exemption application process is not a request to cancel a housing assignment and contract. All exemption requests and results must be completed prior to the official Move-In date for the current academic year.

Residence Requirement

We understand that not every first year student is able to live in the Residence Halls at Texas Tech. Even though institutional research indicates that students who live on campus perform better academically, there are provisions for students that need to live off campus if they meet the requirements. Students are encouraged to read OP 30.25 when requesting to live off campus.

Students that meet one of these requirements need to fill out the Exemption Form and send any other necessary documentation to University Student Housing. We will respond via email within three to five business days with a notice of eligibility, ineligibility, or a request for further information. All responses will be sent to the student's Texas Tech email address.

Please send all documents to housing@ttu.edu, fax them to 806-742-2696, or upload them using the electronic form.


Common reasons students are eligible to live off campus:

  • Student has 30 hours post high school credit. (Advance Placement, CLEP, ACT, SAT, dual-credit, and/or concurrent-credit do not count toward this requirement)
  • Student has lived on campus for 2 or more semesters. (Fall and Spring semesters only.) Proof of Residence from Previous Institution Form is required.
  • Student will continue to reside in the established primary residence of their parent or legal guardian within a 60-mile radius of Lubbock and has been there for at least the previous six months. Sworn Statement of Commuting Status Form is required.
  • Student has extreme financial hardship, similar to guidelines set forth by the Student Financial Aid office. Financial Hardship Addendum and personal statement are required.
  • Student has a medical hardship which may be intensified by living on campus. Medical Hardship Addendum and personal statement are required.
  • Student is 21 years of age, has served in the military, is married, and/or has dependent children

*Please note that additional documentation may be requested and/or required in order to verify eligibility for an exemption application.

Request to live off campus

Additional Exemption Forms