Research: Political communication
Hours: Monday/Wednesday 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2014
M.A. University of Illinois, Chicago, 2009
View Full CV
I love to cook and enjoy traveling whenever I get the chance. I've lived on the West Coast (I grew up in northern California), East Coast, and Midwest, but Texas is my native state (I spent the first few years of my life in Austin).
Most broadly, my research interests include political communication, media effects, and social identity. More specifically, I examine how political narratives are processed and experienced by citizens, and the consequences of these experiences on attitudes and political conflict. My current research examines problematic news consumption and its implications for individual and societal health.
- McLaughlin, B., Gotlieb, M.R., Mills, D. (2022). Caught in a dangerous world: Problematic news consumption and its relationship to mental and physical ill-being. Health Communication, online first.
- McLaughlin, B., Wilkinson, K., Rendon, H., & Martinez, T.J. (2022). Deliberating alone: Deliberative bias and giving up on political talk. Human Communication Research, online first.
- McLaughlin, B. (2020). Tales of conflict: Narrative immersion and support for political aggression in the United States. Media Psychology, 23, 579-602.
- McLaughlin, B., Velez, J., & Dunn, J. (2019). The political world within: How citizens process and experience political narratives. Annals of International Communication Association, 43, 156-172.
My teaching interests include consumer insights, research methods, identity and communication, political advertising, and public opinion.
- Advertising Account Planning (ADV 4308)
- Mass Communication Research Methods (MCOM 3380)
Leadership & Awards
- Texas Tech University Chancellor's Council Distinguished Research Award, 2022
- Head, Political Communication Interest Group, Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication, August 2018 - August 2019
- AEJMC Emerging Scholar Award, 2017, Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication
College of Media & Communication
AddressTexas Tech University, Box 43082, Lubbock, TX 79409