Research: Social media, Visual, Entertainment, Children
Hours: T/TR 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Ph.D. University of Florida, 2001
M.A. University of Central Florida, 1997
I was born and raised in sunny Orlando, Florida. I'm a beach bum at heart, but I also love my "day job." I get to work daily with the most amazing students and faculty at a University that I passionately believe in. Texas Tech has been my academic home since 2001. I am married and have two precious little boys. When I'm not teaching, attending meetings, or working with ad team- I'm at home enjoying time with my amazing family!
My research has always centered on new media (currently social media). I am intrigued by the impact new forms of media have on society- specifically underrepresented groups such as older adults and children. I enjoy using content analysis and survey methodology to pursue studies related to framing, persuasion, and motivations for media use. I also LOVE analyzing Super Bowl ads each year from a variety of perspectives.
- Content Analysis
- In-Depth Interviews
- Focus Group Interviews
- Social media
- Visual communication
- Brooks, M., Bichard, S., & Craig, C. (2016) What's the Score?: A Content Analysis of Mature Adults in Super Bowl Commercials, Howard Journal of Communications, 27(4), p 347-366.
- Gong, Z. & Bichard, S. (2018). This Offer Self-Destructs in 3, 2, 1,: Improving the Effectiveness of "That's-Not-All" Techniques in Promotional Emails. Journal of Promotion Management, 24(1), p 39-56.
- Parmelee, J. & Bichard, S. (2012). Politics & The Twitter Revolution: How Tweets Influence the Relationship between Political Leaders and the Public. Lexington Books.
I am very passionate about teaching and mentoring students. At the undergraduate level, I often teach advertising media planning, advertising campaigns, and the ad pitch course. At the graduate level, I often teach the pedagogy course, branding seminar, or integrated communication campaigns. I also enjoy working with students on independent projects that are relevant to their career goals.
- Advertising Media Planning ADV 3351
- Advertising Campaigns ADV 4312
- Mass Communications Pedagogy MCOM 6302
- Integrated Communications Campaigns MCOM 6315
- Seminar in Public Opinion and Propaganda MCOM 5344
- Contemporary Issues in Advertising ADV 5322
- Special Topics in Advertising ADV 6315
- Tech Transition: Freshman Seminar IS 1100
Leadership & Awards
I am most proud of receiving the Educator of the Year award for the 10th district
American Advertising Federation. I have also received the TTU President's Excellence
in Teaching Award and the CoMC Outstanding Research Award (as the college nominee
for the Barnie E. Rushing Jr. Faculty Research Award).
One of the most rewarding parts of my job is serving as the advisor for our National Student Advertising Competition Team (Bullet/Ad Team). I've had the fortunate opportunity to work as the advisor for the team since 2002. Select students work each year to complete a marketing campaign for a real client and then present their campaign at the 10th district AAF competition. I love watching the team unite around a real-world competitive challenge. Mentoring students and guiding them through the campaign development process is an amazing journey each and every year!
College of Media & Communication
AddressTexas Tech University, Box 43082, Lubbock, TX 79409