Personal Financial Planning Ph.D.
Request Info Apply for Admission
Program OverviewDegree & Admission Details Degree Plan
Personal Financial Planning Doctoral Degree
Earn your Ph.D. in Personal Financial Planning from a national leader in financial education.
Study on-campus or online*
*Online program is pending final approval for Fall 2023.
The Wall Street website MarketWatch calls Texas Tech University “the headquarters” of personal financial planning education, and for good reason. As the first U.S. university to offer a Ph.D. in Personal Financial Planning, we have a proven record of leadership in financial planning scholarship.
Establish Your Career Excellence in Our Financial Planning Ph.D. Program
Texas Tech's personal financial planning Ph.D. program enjoys a national reputation for excellence, so your work will draw serious attention from journal editors, conference programmers, and industry professionals.
Our financial planning doctoral program stands out for its:
- World-class faculty. You will work with leading authorities in personal financial planning. Texas Tech has the nation's largest personal financial planning faculty, with experts in a broad range of specialties.
- Outstanding career outcomes. Graduates from our personal financial planning program have earned tenure-track faculty placements throughout the U.S., including numerous departmental leadership positions. In addition, many graduates have used the Ph.D. as a springboard to non-academic careers in financial planning or entrepreneurship.
- Rigorous theoretical foundation. You will examine the most current research in personal financial planning, including specialized aspects such as the psychology of financial planning, behavioral finance, risk management, and household economics.
- Practical training in research and teaching. Our Ph.D. students get practical training and mentorship in teaching and research from the top researchers in the field and well-established practitioners. This guidance strengthens your curriculum vita and makes you the ideal candidate for faculty positions or industry careers.
Read about what our current students are doing.
Careers in Personal Financial Planning
Graduates from our Personal Financial Planning Ph.D. degree program have a job placement rate of virtually 100 percent.
More than 30 alumni of our doctoral program currently hold personal financial planning faculty positions at universities throughout the United States. If you choose a non-academic career path, you will have excellent preparation for high-level employment at a wide range of financial institutions, including:
- Financial services firms
- Mutual fund companies
- Brokerage firms
- Insurance companies
Personal Financial Planning professional certification
Some students in our personal financial planning Ph.D. degree program have already passed the CFP® Certification Examination. If you have not already done so, our Ph.D. degree in personal financial planning will qualify you to take the exam.
For more information about the Ph.D. in Personal Financial Planning
Request Information OnlineRequest Info
For More Information Contact:
- Name:Dr. Sonya Lutter
- Phone: (806) 834-2709
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Financial Planning
AddressTexas Tech University, Box 41210, Lubbock, TX 79409-1210