School of Music
graduate Certificate in Opera
The Certificate in Opera is a collaboration with the Amarillo Opera and is designed for post-baccalaureate voice students who seek a real-world application of their performance degrees in the context of a professional opera company. The certificate can be undertaken along with a graduate degree or as a stand-alone certificate and can be completed in 13-15 hours.
To attract the highest quality students to the Panhandle of Texas and offer a more detailed education focused specifically on the art form of opera.
In order to fulfill the apprentice program requirements, students will be required to further their education through participation in educational outreach performances, career development through individual applied lessons and coachings, and experience aspects of stagecraft. Opportunities may include:
- Master class participation
- Business sense sessions with experts in the field
- Practicum hours as stage workers, i.e. shop/stage/properties managers
- Covering mainstage roles with Amarillo Opera
- Singing comprimario roles with Amarillo Opera
- Singing mainstage roles with TTU Opera Theatre
- Advanced acting sessions for singers
We welcome students from many different backgrounds and experiences.
- (MUAP 5001-2 enrollments)
- (MUEN 5102-2 enrollments)
- (MUAP 5323)
Program code is GR-ND-VPCR and the concentration code is OPER
Texas Tech University Graduate Certificate Program/Amarillo Opera Apprenticeship
We ask that you submit a recent pre-screening video containing two contrasting operatic arias, a detailed resume, two letters of reference from professionals in the field and a statement of why you wish to be considered.
ONLINE CATALOG INFORMATION
Dr. Rebecca Hays
Associate Professor of Voice