School of Music
Bachelor of Applied Arts
Bachelor of applied arts in Commercial music
The Bachelor of Applied Arts in Commercial Music is a dynamic partnership between Texas Tech University School of Music and South Plains College Creative Arts Department. This partnership is designed for students wishing to pursue careers in popular, global, jazz, and contemporary musics. The program begins at SPC with the Associate of Applied Arts degree in Commercial Music. SPC is known for its distinguished alumni who have collectively won over 40 Grammy awards. After completion of the AAA in Commercial Music students seamlessly transfer to TTU for two years of upper level courses in applied performance and music-related technology. The result is an affordable and competitive four-year degree combined with a complete readiness to enter a career in live music.
What Sets Us Apart
The BAACM partnership between SPC and TTU is a departure from the traditional Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Music which require traditional classes in Music History and Music Theory. All technical training courses included in SPC's AAA in Commercial Music transfer to TTU for completion of the BAACM degree, including Commercial Music Theory, History, and Applied Lessons. This is the first degree of its kind to be accredited by the National Associate of School of Music putting Texas Tech as the leader in forming partnerships with state-of-the-art two-year commercial music programs as a path to a successful and affordable four-year degree. The capstone of the degree plan is a semester-long internship that can be completed locally, nationally, or internationally including locations such as Nashville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, or Tokyo. Graduates are prepared to enter the local, national, and international contemporary music scenes as performers or industry technicians.
Facilities & Technology
South Plains College and Texas Tech partner to offer experience with the most up-to-date equipment and software in the music industry. SPC houses three beautiful recording studios designed for state-of-the-art in-house productions. TTU utilizes the most current systems to turn any venue into a recording studio through hardware, software, and live networks. Make professional recordings of any ensemble from a four piece country or bluegrass band to a full-sized orchestra.
South Plains College Tom T. Hall
Texas Tech University Control Room
Local Internship Partner Amusement Park Studios
- Apply to South Plains College Creative Arts Department for admittance into the Associate in Applied Arts in Commercial Music degree track.
- Already have the AAA in Commercial Music? Apply to Texas Tech University for transfer admission & the TTU School of Music.
- Transferring from SPC to TTU? Be sure to schedule an audition on one of our scheduled audition days, or arrange a private audition with your future applied instructor.
- Full details on the South Plains College Associate in Applied Arts
TTU BAACM COURSES
BAACM REQUIRED CORE CURRICULUM TO BE COMPLETED AT TTU (12 credits)
- PHYS 1406 Physics of Sound and Music (required core curriculum course for lab science)
- VPA 2301 Critical Issues in Arts and Culture (required core curriculum course for language, philosophy, and culture)
- MUHL 2307 Music and Globalization (required core curriculum course for creative arts and multicultural)
- Remaining core curriculum may be completed at TTU, SPC, or another accredited institution
APPLIED STUDIES (17 credits)
- Applied studies in bass, drumset, keyboard, guitar, and voice as well as winds and strings
- Ensemble experience in combos, jazz ensembles, music theater, global ensembles, and more
- Applied Capstone
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND STYLE (18 credits)
- MUSI 3001 Commercial Music Composition
- MUSI 4000 Jazz Arranging
- MUHL 4300 Special Topics in Music History
- VPA 4315 Intro to Arts Entrepreneurship
- MUCP 4321/4322 Recording Technology and Portfolio
- MUCP 4331/4332 Music Informatics I and II
BAACM Internship completed with one of our local, regional, national, or international partners.
ONLINE CATALOG INFORMATION
Alumni Success & Careers
SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE ALUMNI INCLUDE
- Gigi Hess, Singer/Songwriter
- Lee Ann Womack, Country Music Recording Artist
- Jedd Hughes, Singer/Songwriter and Producer
- Josh Abbot, Country Music Recording Artist
- Heath Wright, Country Music Recording Artist
- Natalie Maines, Country Music Recording Artist
- Jerrod Niemann, Country Music Recording Artist
- Media and Production
- Recording Artist
- Audio Recording Engineer
- Live Sound Engineer
- Performing Musician
Contact the School of Music