The College of Media & Communication was proud to send a large contingent of TTU representatives to present research at the recent 104th Annual Convention of the National Communication Association held Nov. 8-11 in Salt Lake City.
Following the overall conference theme of “Communication at Play,” the presentations ranged widely from the topics of how college students handle communication with their parents to how gameplay can influence flow dynamics and more.
Both Mark Gring, Ph.D., associate professor in communication studies, and Luke LeFebvre, Ph.D., assistant professor and director of the CoMC's Communication Training Center, gave pre-conference workshops to participants.
Three students in CoMC's graduate program (Robyn Adams, Michelle A. Hershberger and Samer Melhem) were also selected to give presentations on their academic specialties.
Another point of pride is Justin Keene, Ph.D., assistant professor in journalism and creative media industries, who was recognized with the Distinguished Article Award from the Communication and Social Cognition division during the conference. Included as co-author was CoMC alum Jacob Fisher (MA, 2016). The article was titled, “The limited capacity model of motivated mediated message processing: Looking to the future.”
The complete list of CoMC representatives and alumni who presented at the conference is as follows:
- Robyn Adams (TTU MA 2018) (presenter)
- Erik Bucy, Ph.D. (presenter) – Marshall and Sharleen Formby Regents Professor of Strategic Communication
- Glenn Cummins, Ph.D. (presenter) – associate professor, JCMI, and associate dean for research and grants
- Jacob Fisher (MA CoMC 2016) (presenter)
- Mark Gring, Ph.D. (presenter) – associate professor, COMS; assistant graduate director
- Michelle A. Hershberger (presenter) – CoMC graduate student
- Amy N. Heuman, Ph.D. (2x presenter) – associate professor, COMS
- Angela Labador (2x presenter) – CoMC graduate student
- Catherine (Katie) Langford, Ph.D. (presenter) – associate professor, COMS
- Gordana Lazic, Ph.D. (presenter) – assistant professor of practice, COMS
- Luke LeFebvre, Ph.D. (7x presenter) – assistant professor, COMS and director, CTC
- Justin Keene, Ph.D. (2x presenter) – assistant professor, JCMI
- Samer Melhem (presenter) – CoMC doctoral student
- Mary Norman, Ph.D. (presenter) – assistant professor of practice, PR
- Narissra Punyanunt-Carter, Ph.D. (4x presenter) – associate professor and assistant dean of international affairs
- Bolanle Olaniran, Ph.D. (presenter) – professor; interim department chair, COMS
- Marilda J. Oviedo, Ph.D. (presenter) – instructor, JCMI
- Jenna Shimkowski, Ph.D. (presenter) – assistant professor, COMS