Minor Program Offerings
Undergraduate students at Texas Tech University are encouraged to complete a minor that will allow them to explore a particular passion, round-out their chosen degree and contribute to their career aspirations. With good planning and help from their college adviser, students can complete both a major and a minor in four years and still graduate on time.
The College of Media & Communication offers six undergraduate minors:
- Communication Studies
- Creative Media Industries
- Professional Communication
- Public Relations & Strategic Communication Management
In addition to, or in place of a minor, students may also consider earning an undergraduate certificate in Entertainment Media, Game Design and Culture, Motion Picture Production Sports Media or Strategic Communication Management.
Students may also be interested in the graduate certificates offered by the College of Media & Communication.
Our Advertising program gives students an understanding of the creative and business-related aspects of advertising, including copywriting, sales, graphic production, creative strategy and media planning. The department also hosts industry professionals who speak to students about internships and careers in advertising.
Advertising Undergraduate Minor Requirements:
A minor in advertising consists of a minimum of 21 hours. At least 12 of the 21 hours must be taken in residence.
Students selecting a minor in advertising are required to pass ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 and have a 2.5 TTU GPA prior to enrolling in ADV 3312.
Students who minor in Advertising must complete:
- Four Required Courses:
- ADV 3310 Principles of Advertising
- ADV 3320 Advertising and Society
- MCOM 1300 Foundations of Media and Communication
- MCOM 1301 Introduction to Digital and Social Media
- Choose Three Courses from:
- ADV 3312 Advertising Writing
- ADV 3318 Advertising Research and Consumer Insights
- ADV 3330 Advertising Theory
- ADV 3340 Internet and New Media Advertising
- ADV 3350 Sports Advertising
- ADV 3351 Advertising Media Planning
- ADV 3361 Advertising Design and Layout
- ADV 4000 Special Projects in Integrated Communications in Advertising
- ADV 4300 Individual Study in Advertising
- ADV 4301 Special Topics in Advertising
- ADV 4313 International Advertising
- ADV 4330 Advertising Sales
Questions about Advertising as minor or major?
Learn more about our Advertising program.
Through a dynamic and engaging curriculum that includes classes in interpersonal, organizational, and intercultural communication, combined with courses in popular culture and public affairs, Communication Studies students learn to think critically and communicate clearly and compellingly. Taught by award-winning teachers and scholars, our courses prepare students to be leaders in any industry.
Communication Studies Undergraduate Minor Requirements:
A minor in communication studies consists of 18 hours of COMS courses, at least 6 hours of which must be completed in residence at Texas Tech.
Students who minor in Communication Studies must complete:
- Two Required Courses:
- COMS 1310 Fundamentals of Communication
- COMS 2300 Public Speaking
- Choose One Course:
- COMS 3301 Communication Theory
- COMS 3310 Rhetoric in Western Thought
- Of the remaining 9 hours, 6 must be in upper level (junior/senior) courses.
Questions about Communication Studies as minor or major?
Contact the Communication Studies adviser Lori Jones.
Learn more about our Communication Studies program.
Through an emphasis on commercial practice and portfolio development, our Creative Media Industries program trains digital storytellers who exhibit excellence in the creation, distribution, and analysis of creative media content in diverse U.S. and global media marketplaces. Our program offers courses in film, television, gaming & interactive media, audio, photography, and writing.
Creative Media Industries Undergraduate Minor Requirements:
A minor in Creative Media Industries consists of a minimum of 21 hours, at least 12 hours of which must be completed in residence at Texas Tech.
Students minoring in Creative Media Industries are required to pass either MCOM 2320 or JOUR 2310. If a student minoring in CMI chooses to take JOUR 2310, they are required to pass the college's Basics of Writing (BOW) exam, in addition to passing ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 with a C or better.
Students who minor in Creative Media Industries must complete:
- Four Required Courses:
- CMI 2310 Introduction to Creative Media Industries
- JCMI 2301 Introduction to Media Production and Composition
- JCMI 2302 Foundations of Digital Post-Production and Workflow
- MCOM 2320 Writing for Media and Communication
OR JOUR 2310 - News Writing
- Choose One Course from:
- CMI 3370 Writing for Electronic Media
- CMI 4370 Writing for Series Television
- CMI 4375 Writing for Feature Films
- Choose One Course from:
- CMI 3300 Creative Media Industries and Society
- CMI 3315 Introduction to Web Design
- CMI 3355 Ethnicity, Race, Gender in Media
- CMI 3358 International Creative Media Industries
- CMI 4320 CMI Capstone
- PHOT 3310 Photography I
- Choose 3 final hours of electives from any CMI or PHOT course.
Questions about Creative Media Industries as minor or major?
Learn more our Creative Media Industries program.
Our Journalism program is leading the way in developing storytellers that thrive in this multimedia world. Students have the opportunity to produce news and information using a variety of media, including social, print, broadcast and online. Alumni are finding jobs as reporters, producers, editors, photographers and other news positions, as well as progressing to upper-level management positions, such as anchoring CBS Evening News and being vice president of Mattel, Inc. The industry has recognized our graduates with five Pulitzer Prizes.
Journalism Undergraduate Minor Requirements:
A minor in Journalism consists of a minimum of 21 hours, at least 12 hours of which must be completed in residence at Texas Tech.
Students choosing to minor in journalism are required to pass the college's Basics of Writing (BOW) exam; pass ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 with grades of C or better; and have a 2.5 GPA prior to enrolling in JOUR 2310.
Students who minor in Journalism must complete:
- Six Required Courses:
- JOUR 2300 Principles of Journalism
- JOUR 2310 News Writing
- JOUR 3311 Online Journalism Production*
- *JOUR 3311 pre-requisites (JCMI 2301 & 2302) will be waived for students minoring in Journalism.
- JOUR 3312 Reporting
- JOUR 3380 Editing
- JOUR 4370 Advanced Reporting
- Choose 3 final hours of electives from upper-level journalism courses.
Questions about Journalism as minor or major?
Learn more about our Journalism program.
With its professional focus and training that cuts across communication disciplines, our Professional Communication program trains students to innovate and succeed in any industry or entrepreneurial venture. Professional Communication alumni are pursuing careers in digital, brand and social media strategy; media analysis and research; ecommerce; communication planning; media consulting; and media management.
Professional Communication Undergraduate Minor Requirements:
A minor in Professional Communication consists of a minimum of 21 hours, at least 12 hours of which must be completed in residence at Texas Tech.
Students who minor in Professional Communication must complete:
- MCOM 1301 Introduction to Digital & Social Media
- PCOM 2310 Principles of Professional Communication
- PCOM 2320 Corporate Citizenship
- PCOM 3315 Data Visualization for Media
- PCOM 3373 Business Communication
- PCOM 3385 Media Insights & Data Analytics
- or -
PCOM 4301 Special Topics in Professional Communication
- PCOM 4325 Media Entrepreneurship
- or -
PCOM 4373 DMPC Capstone
Questions about Professional Communication as minor?
Our Public Relations & Strategic Communication Management program teaches students skills in media relations, building and managing public and business relationships, planning strategic campaigns, writing releases, designing graphics and creating content. We offer many specialized courses on specific PR topics, such as crisis communication and advanced social media monitoring, that offer students the opportunity to work with real-world clients.
Public Relations & Strategic Communication Management Undergraduate Minor Requirements:
A minor in Public Relations & Strategic Communication Management consists of a minimum of 21 hours, at least 12 hours of which must be completed in residence at Texas Tech.
Students who minor in Public Relations & Strategic Communication Managementmust complete:
- Five Required Courses:
- MCOM 1300 Foundations of Media & Communication
- PRSC 2310 Principles of Public Relations
- PRSC 3311 Public Relations Strategies
- PRSC 3300 Applied PR Theory
OR MCOM 3300 Theories of Media & Communication
- *PRSC 4380 Applied PR Research
OR *MCOM 3380 Research Methods
- *MATH 2300 (“C” or better) is required prior to enrolling in PR 4380 or MCOM 3380.
- Plus 6 Hours of Electives - Choose Two Courses from:
- PRSC 2330 Advocacy & Activism
- PRSC 3351 Public Relations for Nonprofits
- PRSC 3352 Public Relations Event Management
- PRSC 3353 Political Public Relations
- PRSC 3354 Sports Public Relations
- PRSC 4301 Special Topics (topics vary; may be repeated)
- PRSC 4310: RaiderComm Agency Experience
- PRSC 4350 Crisis Communication
- PRSC 4351 International & Multicultural PR
Questions about the PRSC minor or major?
Learn more about our Public Relations & Strategic Communication Management program.
College of Media & Communication
AddressTexas Tech University, Box 43082, Lubbock, TX 79409