Inclement Weather and Campus Closings
Various types of weather affect the Lubbock region throughout the year. Texas Tech maintains several warning and alert systems for use in the event major storms or other disasters threaten our community. Ideally, sufficient warning time will allow precautionary measures to be implemented. The unpredictability of weather conditions, however, does not always provide for adequate warning.
Closure of University or Cancellation of Classes
Information regarding the suspension of classes and closing of offices for a short period of time due to weather will be communicated using the TechAlert! Emergency Alert Notification System. Please sign up at the Emergency Communications Center. If the facilities are closed due to inclement weather, announcements will also be placed with local television and radio stations.
High Winds, Thunderstorms, Hail, and Tornadoes
Residents should do the following in the event of a tornado warning:
- Close and lock the door and take room key.
- Take a pillow, blanket or towel for protection.
- Proceed to the wings of the first or second floors and sit in the hall with your back to the wall. In high-rise buildings, the second and third floor hallways, elevator lobbies and ironing rooms should also be used for shelter.
- Lounges, study halls or other areas near glass should NOT be used as shelter areas. Do not take shelter near glassed areas.
- Follow directions from the CAs, Student Assistants and elected hall officers who will be acting on instructions from the Residence Life Coordinator.
- Keep talking and other noise to a minimum so that instructions can be passed along.
- Do not use candles.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not leave the building.
- For your own protection, you need to seek shelter inside a building. If you choose to go outside, you do so at your own risk.
Should the university receive a Tornado Warning message, the Texas Tech Police will activate the campus alarm system, which consists of a siren system located on university buildings. The alarm system is augmented by the use of loudspeakers on university police vehicles broadcasting instructions and/or Texas Tech Police sounding the cars' police sirens.
Residence hall staff in each hall may make public announcements over the hall/complex intercom systems requesting that students take cover with more specific instructions. Staff in the remaining halls will set off the fire alarms and direct students where to take cover.
A tornado drill will be held during the spring semester.