Current Faculty & Energy Law Advisory Board
Texas Tech Law's current Energy Law Program boasts faculty with backgrounds in energy, administrative, business, and other related areas of law.
Stephen Black, J.D., LL.M.
Professor of Law; Associate Dean for Strategy and Innovation
Courses: Oil & Gas Lease Negotiation, Transactional Practice, Energy Law
- Recent scholarship published in the Georgia State University Law Review and the top-100 journal Akron Law Review.
- Served as principal shareholder in a boutique tax firm and represented clients before the Internal Revenue Service and state tax agencies.
Victoria V. Sutton, M.P.A., J.D., Ph.D.
Paul Whitfield Horn Professor; Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Development; Director, Law and Science Certificate Program
Course: Wind Energy Law and Policy
- Environmental-law scholarship published in the top-100 American Journal of Law & Medicine
- Served in the President George H. W. Bush Administration as assistant director in the White House Science Office and in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
William R. Keffer, J.D.
Associate Professor of Energy Law; Director of Energy Law Programs
Courses: Oil & Gas Law I and II, Legislative Process
- Contributing columnist to SHALE magazine
- Experienced Dallas-based practitioner; served as in-house litigation-management counsel for environmental safety and health at ARCO Oil and Gas Company; and focused exclusively on oilfield-pollution litigation for Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP in Dallas
- Served in the Texas legislature from 2003–2007 as state representative from District 107
- Serves on the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission and as a neutral for the American Arbitration Association
M. Alexander Pearl, J.D.
Assistant Professor of Law; Director, Center for Water Law and Policy
Courses: Water Law, Advanced Water Law
- Scholarship involving Texas groundwater and property rights in extracting groundwater from over-drafted aquifers published in the Environmental Law Journal
- Clerked for the Honorable William J. Holloway, Jr., of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and worked as a litigation associate with Kilpatrick Townsend in Washington, D.C.
Brie D. Sherwin, M.S., J.D. '01, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Law Director, Dual Degree Programs and Concentrations
Course: Law, Science, Policy & Scientific Evidence
- Scholarship involving trade-secret protection sought for the composition of hydraulic-fracturing fluid in the top-100 Ohio State Law Journal
- Worked as an associate at one of the largest toxic-tort litigation firms in the country, representing individuals and communities affected by environmental contamination, and practiced environmental law at the Dallas office of Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
Don R. Richards, J.D. '84
Adjunct Professor of Law; Partner, Richards, Elder & Green LLP
Course: Texas Administrative Practice
- Board Certified in Administrative Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Represents more than 40 local exchange telephone companies and electric-utility cooperatives before the Texas Legislature and the Public Utility Commission of Texas
- Served as general counsel to the Texas Exchange Carrier Association and as past-chairman of the Public Utility Section of the State Bar of Texas
Gary R. Terrell, J.D. '77
Adjunct Professor of Law; Partner, Key & Terrell LLP (Retired)
Course: Texas Land Titles
- Practiced real-estate law, corporate law, probate law, commercial law, and commercial litigation with Key & Terrell, LLP in Lubbock
- Former advisory board member for Texas Tech University's Department of Natural Resources Management
Other Faculty in the Energy Law Program
Richard W. Murphy, M.F.A., J.D.
AT&T Professor of Law
Course: Administrative Law
Tracy Hresko Pearl, M.Sc., J.D.
Associate Professor of Law
Course: Environmental Law
John L. Watts, J.D.
Professor of Law
Course: Agricultural Law
Texas Tech Law's Energy Law Advisory Board is made up of alumni who meet to discuss relevant issues and enhancements to the energy-law program. The Advisory Board members serve as general counsel, practitioners, section heads, and owners of exploration and production companies.
- Craig Adams '92 – Matador Resources
- Doug Atnipp '85 – Greenberg Traurig
- Charles Boettcher '99 – Waste Management
- David Copeland '82 – SM Energy Company
- Michael Cuda '91 – Squire Patton Boggs
- Greg Curry '89 – Thompson & Knight
- Mike Curry '89 – Henry Resources
- Mike Denham '99 – Quantum Energy Partners
- Dan Fergus '83 – Fergus & Fergus
- Justin Furnace '04 – Hilcorp
- Mark Griffin '79 – Rip Griffin Companies
- Stephanie Hall '97 – Valero
- Scott Kidwell '92 – Concho
- Jeff King '87 – Winstead
- Kiersten Kita '05 – XTO Energy
- Carol Leach '71 – Concho
- Curtis Leonard '79 – ICA Energy, Inc.
- Cottie Miles '97 – Martin & Drought
- Hon. Donna Nelson '86 – Public Utility Commission of Texas (retired)
- Jon Platt '09 – Baker, Botts
- David Poole '88 – Range Resources
- Todd Spake '96 – Kelly, Hart
- Corey Wehmeyer '06 – Santoyo Moore Wehmeyer
- Ty Wood '06 – Ty Wood Attorney at Law