Writing Consultants Wanted
The University Writing Center, Graduate Student Writing Center, and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Writing Center hire graduate student and professional writing consultants from all departments and disciplines.
Learn more about the Writing Centers of Texas Tech University
- The University Writing Center serves the entire Texas Tech community (undergraduate students, graduate students,
staff, faculty, and alumni). It provides 30-minute onsite and asynchronous online
Dr. Kathy Gillis, Director
Elizabeth Bowen, Assistant Director
- The Graduate Student Writing Center serves graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. It provides 50-minute onsite
and synchronous online tutorials.
Dr. Kristin Messuri, Associate Director
- The Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Writing Center serves students enrolled at TTUHSC. It provides 50-minute asynchronous online tutorials.
Dr. Devjani Roy, Associate Director
Our writing tutors have the following qualities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to assess and provide constructive feedback for writing in a variety of genres and disciplines
- The willingness to learn through individual feedback and ongoing professional development
Tutoring allows graduate students to develop their writing skills and gain experience working with student writers.
Typically, writing tutors work 5-10 hours per week and attend weekly professional development meetings. These positions are compensated through a graduate part-time instructorship or through hourly pay. They may be held in addition to assistantships or other work commitments. However, only those students who are capable of handling such a work load will be considered. (Please note that international students typically cannot tutor if they already hold 0.5 FTE positions in their home departments due to visa regulations.)
To download an application, click here. To apply, please submit a completed application, a resume or CV, two writing samples, and two letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the Writing Centers of Texas Tech University, writing tutoring, the application process, or your eligibility to apply, please contact Dr. Kristin Messuri (email@example.com).