Texas Tech University

 Checklist Logo

I've been admitted – now what?

Now that you are a new graduate student at Texas Tech!

The Graduate School at Texas Tech University is proud to welcome you into our select group of scholars! Listed below is information that will help you as you begin your journey with us.

Submitting Official Documents

All documents that were submitted with your application are considered unofficial, even if you uploaded a PDF of an official transcript to your application portal.

Once admitted, all students are required to submit all official documents by the twelfth (12th) class day of the term to which they were admitted.

How to Send Official Documents

Official documents can be provided in the following ways: 

  • Mailed directly to the Graduate School from your institution.
  • Electronically sent directly to the Graduate School from your institution (transcripts.gradschool@ttu.edu)
  • Official documents may be dropped off at the Graduate School only if they are in the original, sealed envelope from the institution. Documents will not be returned to the student and copies will not be released to students or third parties. University officials may contact institutions directly to verify official documents.

For more information regarding what you need to submit, visit the Official Document Requirement page on our FAQ. 

Immunization Requirements

Every student must meet the university's immunization requirements before they will be able to enroll in classes.

For more information on the immunization requirements, please visit the Immunization Requirements for New Students page on the Student Health Service website. 


Visit with your advisor to determine what courses to take; for your advisor's contact information, click here. Course schedules are available in the Raiderlink portal: http://portal.texastech.edu on the "MyTech" tab.

Tuition & Fee Payment Responsibility

Your tuition bill will be available in Raiderlink after you register for classes and your bill has been generated by Student Business Services. The preferred method of payment is eBill, and you can pay with an electronic bank transfer, credit card, or debit card through eBill. International students can also make payments through peerTransfer. Visit the Student Business Services website for more information.


All students should be prepared financially to cover any billed expenses. Please note that tuition, fees, living expenses, and insurance costs change from year to year.

If you have received an assistantship or a GPTI, the monthly payment will NOT happen right away. You will need to communicate with your department regarding the timing of your monthly income. You will be responsible for payment of your tuition and fees after you register for your classes.

We encourage ALL STUDENTS to sign up for the Emergency Payment Plan through Student Business Services once they have registered for classes. This allows you to pay your billed expenses in specified increments, which helps especially if you are waiting for any awarded funding to be applied. Payment of the required amount MUST BE PAID, or you will be dropped from your classes. Visit the Student Business Services website for Payment Plan and Paying Your Bill options. 

We also recommend you visit the Tuition Estimator on the Student Business Services website prior to each semester before you register for classes so you will be prepared for the possible costs.

Please visit the Graduate School Funding Your Education web page for additional financial support options.

Withdrawing from the University

If you have already registered for classes and are not able to attend, you will need to officially withdraw from the university by completing the withdrawal form via the Registrar's Office. Information can be found by going to the Registrar's website and clicking on "Withdrawal Information" under the "Current Student" heading in the "Students" tab: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/registrar/.

Depending on when you withdraw from the university, you may be responsible for a portion or all of your tuition & fee charges.


Your I-20 reflects the estimated expenses for your first year ONLY and is based on 18 credit hours (9 hours for each long term). The actual amount of your expenses may be higher or lower than the amount on your I-20. The amount will depend on the specific courses you take and the number of credit hours you register for each term.

If you have received an assistantship or a GPTI, the monthly payment will NOT happen right away. You will need to communicate with your department regarding the timing of your monthly income. You will be responsible for payment of your tuition and fees after you register for your classes. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED you bring enough money with you to cover this cost.

If you have received enough funding to cover all of your expenses on the I-20, even though you did not need to provide proof of financial support, the monthly payment from your assistantship or other employment will NOT happen right away.

Student Identification Card

Once you are registered for classes, you can get your student identification card at the University ID Office, located in the Student Union Building in Room 103.


University Student Housing has The West Village, apartment-style residence hall offering one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and four-bedroom units. Students over 21 years of age may live in West Village B (West Village Graduate), and students of sophomore or higher classification may live in West Village A (West Village Upperclass). Amenities include washers and dryers in the one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments, and limitless laundry lounges with free WiFi for the four-bedroom apartments.

Other off-campus housing information may be found at http://www.lubbockhospitality.net/apartments or at http://www.lubbockapartments.com.

Financial Aid/Scholarships

Domestic graduate students in degree-seeking programs may be eligible for federal/state financial aid. Please contact the Student Financial Aid office, located in West Hall Room 310, for more information. They may be reached by telephone at (806) 742-3681, and their website is located here: www.financialaid.ttu.edu.

The Graduate School awards several scholarships and fellowships. Applications are available online here.

Additionally, we encourage you to contact your academic department for information about teaching/research assistantships and scholarships if you have not already done so.

Parking & Transportation

If you plan to park on campus, you will need to purchase a parking permit from University Parking Services, located in the Administrative Support Center in Room 145. They may be reached by telephone at (806) 742-3811, and their website is located here: www.parking.ttu.edu.

On-campus bus service is provided by Citibus, Lubbock's public bus system. These buses stop at several locations on both the university campus and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center's campus. Additionally, students with valid student ID cards are able to ride Citibus off-campus for free. For additional information on Citibus services and routes, please call (806) 742-2000 or visit their website here: www.citibus.com.

Graduate Center

The Graduate Center is a facility dedicated to Texas Tech Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows. The Graduate Center is host to numerous academic support services and facilities that include a computer lab, meeting space, quiet study areas, and a dining facility. Access the Graduate Center with your Texas Tech ID or the Mobile ID app on your Android or iOS device. 

Graduate Writing Center

The Graduate Writing Center (GWC) is dedicated to developing graduate students' and postdoctoral fellows' writing and research skills. The GWC brings together scholars with disparate backgrounds, interests, and talents in order to foster the effective communication skills and spirit of intellectual inquiry that are central to graduate study.

International Student Life

The Texas Tech International Student Life unit plans activities for international students and coordinates with other offices on campus to provide services to all international students. See their web page for more information on their services, student organizations, student events and programs, FAQs, and more.

International Students - Transferring In

If you have been studying at another institution in the United States in F-1 status and plan to enroll at Texas Tech University, you will need to complete an F-1 school transfer with the Graduate School Office. After receiving admission to Texas Tech, you will complete the Incoming F-1 Transfer Form with your previous school. The school you are currently attending must release your SEVIS record to Texas Tech. Only then can we issue a transfer I-20 to you.

Upon arrival in Lubbock, students must report to the International Student and Scholar Services office at the International Cultural Center. For directions, check the TTU Campus Map.

Visit the Make An Appointment page to schedule a check-in with your international counselor. Failure to report to the ISSS Office may result in the termination of your SEVIS record. 

Students who will travel outside the United States for a short period of time before reporting to Texas Tech should discuss their plans with an International Student Counselor before making arrangements to leave the United States. If you do leave the country, you must re-enter using your Texas Tech I-20. 

Students who have completed a degree program at another school and have been authorized for Optional Practical Training (OPT) will need to provide a copy of their EAD card showing maintenance of continuous F-1 status. Keep in mind that your OPT employment authorization will end as of the SEVIS transfer release date.

Questions about the transfer process should be directed to the following email: graduate.admissions.international@ttu.edu 

Questions about other matters related to student life (scholarships, housing, orientation, etc.) should be directed to the appropriate Texas Tech office.

International Students - Transferring Out

Transferring out from Texas Tech University to another university requires that we transfer your SEVIS record to your new institution. In order to do this, our office requires a formal letter of admission/acceptance letter from your new school as proof of your admission. You must also fill out the Graduate School SEVIS Release/Transfer Out Form and upload all the required documents and information. 

Currently Enrolled Graduate Student Information/Forms

For important information and forms for currently enrolled graduate students, please visit the Graduate School's Enrollment Services website or select the Academic Progress tab on the TTU Grad School website. 

Helpful Contacts/Links

Office of Graduate Admissions

328 Administration (806) 742-2787 | www.gradschool.ttu.edugraduate.admissions@ttu.edu

Student Business Services

163 Drane Hall | (806) 742-3272 | www.sbs.ttu.edu

On-Campus Jobs

Student Employment Job Search

TTU Academic Calendar

Academic Calendar

TTU Campus Map/Virtual Tour



Lubbock City Map

Lubbock Google Map

Lubbock Chamber of Commerce

1500 Broadway, 6th Floor, Lubbock, TX 79401 | 806-747-5232 | www.lubbockchamber.com

Lubbock City Guide


Frequently Asked Questions for Admitted Students

For answers to many frequently asked questions for new students, please visit the Graduate Admissions Help Center FAQ. We recommend utilizing the search bar with keywords to find the answers to your questions.