External Fellowships & Grants
The Fellowship Office in the Division of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs recognizes the importance of external fellowships and awards to increasing the size and scope of our graduate and postdoctoral enterprises and to elevating the stature of the university.
External fellowships for graduate and postdoctoral studies are available from many organizations outside Texas Tech University, including state and federal agencies, private foundations, non-profit groups, and international organizations. A variety of support is offered, from one-time awards to multi-year support for living expenses, educational fees, conference travel and/or research for beginning to advanced graduate student and postdoctoral levels. In addition to helping fund your education, external grants and fellowships are a great academic honor and help distinguish your academic scholarship.
The Fellowship Office must review and approve all fellowship applications by graduate students and postdoctoral scholars prior to submission to external entities. This is a fully electronic process that enables us to track applications and assure adherence to all application requirements.
Full-time fellowship recipients are required to submit one (1) application for external fellowship/grant support during each year they receive funding.
- We have a variety of resources to help students find external fellowships and scholarships.
Our website has links to an Internal Database as well as External Databases such as Funding Institutional, grants.gov, and a few other places that will be helpful.
These sites are free to Texas Tech students and are where students should look first.
If you cannot find anything on these sites, Google may be helpful.
- You may also find something by speaking with your advisor or department as they may know something that would be good for you in your field.
- Types of support can include fellowship, travel, small research grant, or any other activity from an agency outside of Texas Tech.
- If you are having difficulty finding something related to your research or area of study, you may also want to find something that applies to you. This could be something such as from a credit union or church (a local entity), or a private entity (local, state, or national) such as the Ford Foundation that accepts all kinds of applications that are not narrowed by research interest or area of study.
- Your external funding opportunity must require an application submission that is competitively evaluated by the agency. Funding sources that are lottery or essay-only type applications WILL NOT satisfy the requirement.
- If you find something and want to verify that it will count, you can always email us and ask. We will be happy to verify before you apply.
- International students please note: it may be useful to use our internal database and use the advanced search option to narrow down funding opportunities that are open to students regardless of citizenship – this option is designated as “Open to International Students/No Citizenship Requirement.”
- Once you identify the external fellowship you wish to apply for, you need to submit your application to the graduate school website at http://www.depts.ttu.edu/gradschool/fellowships/submit.php. After you submit this, you will still need to submit the proposal to the external funding agency.
External Funding Workshop
The Graduate School provided an external fellowship workshop including how to search and apply for external fellowships that support graduate education and scholarly activity. External fellowships for graduate and postdoctoral studies are available from many organizations outside Texas Tech, including state and federal agencies, private foundations, non-profit groups, and international organizations. This workshop encompasses an overview of identifying possible funding sources, compiling a competitive application, utilizing campus resources to write the application, and hearing from students who have submitted and received notable national fellowships.
The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Fellowships will help you find and apply for fellowship opportunities that meet your needs.
AddressAdministration Building 328, Texas Tech University, 2625 Memorial Circle, Lubbock, TX 79409-1030