M.A. Program Application Process
This application process is for:
*Learn more about the application process for the M.A. in Communication Studies Program
Here are the steps you need to follow to apply.
Fill out the graduate school application at https://ttugradschool.force.com/admissions/ApplicationLogin.
- Be sure to upload the following:
- Cover letter stating your interest in applying and outlining your background. This letter can be short.
- Personal Statement (250 words to 500 words describing why you want to pursue an MA degree or certificate, why you are interested in Texas Tech, and what you would outline as your area of interests
- Samples of academic / professional work in communication (if you have any)
- Ask three current or former professors/employers to recommend you to the program. The online system will ask you to enter the email addresses of the recommenders. They will have the opportunity to evaluate you on a set of scales, and they will also be asked to upload a letter of recommendation. The recommenders should not send their letter to the COMC graduate director; the letters must be uploaded into the system.
- Upload GRE scores (GRE scores are not required for Fall 2022 application period), TOEFL scores (if required) and official transcripts from all of the colleges and universities that you have attended. You may also be prompted to mail some of those materials in to the Graduate School. The application portal will provide details.
About the M.A. Application Deadlines
Admissions are rolling. US-based students should apply a minimum of 45 days prior to preferred start date.
If you would like to apply after that date, please contact Associate Dean Coy Callison (email@example.com) for direction. The College of Media & Communication will do its best to admit qualified applicants up to the start of the semester. International students need to have materials in much earlier due to a more lengthy verification process.
For International Applicants
TTU accepts seven different English proficiency tests from which the student can choose. Find important information for international students.
All international students must submit English proficiency scores UNLESS the students is a citizen of one of these English proficiency-exempt countries.
Texas Tech mandates that international students purchase mandatory health insurance. The insurance costs roughly $3,000 per year. The College of Media & Communication does not cover this expense. It will be deducted automatically from a funded student's stipend.
International applicants are encouraged to apply a minimum of four months prior to the preferred start date.
Although we will consider late applications, we encourage applicants to submit all materials as soon as they are able.
Expected Background of Applicants
For the M.A. in Mass Communication, the CoMC graduate faculty believe that students with a variety of academic backgrounds are well qualified to pursue a Mass Communication M.A. While the majority of students in the program have a bachelor's degree in a media and/or communication area, many students also come from backgrounds in areas such as psychology, marketing, sociology, etc.
For the M.A. in Communication Studies, applicants should have at least 12 hours in Communication Studies or a related field. At least 9 hours must be in non-forensics (speech and debate).
The online master's program in Strategic Communication & Innovation is targeted to communication professionals. We are dedicated to admitting students who are likely to be successful in the program and who will benefit from that success.
M.A.-level research and teaching assistant funding is awarded on a competitive basis to qualified applicants. The 20-hour per week appointments pay $5000 per long semester and cover some fees. Learn more about M.A. funding and scholarship information.
Be sure to also fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form online.
Director Contact Info
For the M.A. program in Mass Communication
and the M.A. program in Strategic Communication & Innovation:
Mary S. Norman, Ph.D.
Media & Communication Building, Room 158C
For the M.A. program in Communication Studies:
Jenna LaFreniere, Ph.D.
Media & Communication Building, Room 1009
College of Media & Communication
AddressTexas Tech University, Box 43082, Lubbock, TX 79409