Disinfecting Solid Biowaste
Some solid biowaste can be chemically disinfected using a 10% bleach (or other appropriate disinfectant) upon creation of the waste. An example of this is contaminated serological pipets generated inside a Biosafety Cabinet during research. Follow the steps below.
- Prepare a fresh 10% percent bleach solution. Note that Clorox bleach is the only EPA approved bleach.
- Submerge tips and pipettes in the bleach solution. Draw the solution into each unit as you add it to the bleach bath to ensure contact with all surfaces.
- Let the mixture sit for at 10 least minutes.
- Drain the disinfectant from each unit and dispose of the regular trash.
- Log the treatment on your Treatment Log.