Treating Liquid Biowaste
Liquid biological waste includes cell cultures, contaminated medias or supernatents from spinning down cell cultures. Follow this process to treat liquid biowaste.
- Prepare a fresh 10% percent bleach solution. Note that Clorox bleach is the only EPA approved bleach.
- Add the bleach solution in equal volume to your liquid biowaste. For example, if you have one liter (1L) of culture, add one liter (1L) of 10% bleach.
- Allow the mixture to sit for at least 10 minutes to allow adequate disinfection.
- Pour the waste-bleach mixture down the sink and flush with copious amount of water.
- Log the treatment on your Treatment Log.