Honors Course Options
CHECK OUT THE FALL 2021 HONORS COURSES
Explore our Honors sections -- and, for high-demand courses, submit a request for permission to enroll. Also, check out our First Year Experience (FYE) course options.
Please access the RRO Modules webpage to learn about resources & services at your own pace and get ready for Advising & Registration.
Am I required to enroll in an Honors course in Fall 2021?
The only Honors requirement incoming first year must complete is the First-Year Experience (FYE) program, with a requirement to enroll in an FYE course and its linked Learning Community Group (LCG). All other Honors courses are optional in the first semester, though students often elect to take additional Honors courses that fulfill degree requirements.
Please note that Honors students are only required to take an FYE course once, solely during their first fall semester in the Honors College. Please check out the Honors FYE Fall 2021 Course Offerings booklet for course options and further details.
Where can I find details about what non-FYE/standard Honors courses are available?
Because our upper-level Honors students have already registered for non-FYE/standard Honors courses, a good number of Honors courses have reached enrollment limits by the time new students take part in RRO. However, several of our courses are focused on first-year Honors student requirements (e.g., Calculus I, General Chemistry, etc.) and generally have spaces available through some portion of the summer with RRO Advising & Registration sessions.
Along those lines, students who wish to enroll in non-FYE/standard Honors courses which are in high demand (i.e., CHEM 1307 and MATH 1451) are strongly advised to sign up for the earliest RRO session possible, as these courses do fill quickly. Unfortunately, we are unable to guarantee spaces in high-demand Honors classes to all incoming Honors first year who wish to take them.
Please note: Raiderlink may not accurately reflect how many seats are actually available in a given Honors course. Because we keep our enrollment records in-house for selected, high-demand Honors sections, our courses are often shown as having availability although they are full and may have lengthy waitlists. The Honors College Fall 2021 Course Offerings booklet is likely to have the most up-to-date representation of what courses are available at any given time.
How can I later enroll in non-FYE/standard Honors courses?
We encourage you to check out the Honors College Fall 2021 Course Offerings booklet, which lists all the non-FYE/standard Honors sections offered during the fall.
In the booklet, you'll notice that some Honors sections have a “Permit Request Required” notation and others have a “No Permit Request Required” notation. (Side note: any Honors section in red font in the booklet signifies that the course has filled.)
For the Honors sections with a “No Permit Request Required” notation:
Assuming the course has not yet filled, you should be able to simply enroll in this Honors section once your registration opens on Raiderlink to your scheduled RRO Advising & Registration session.
For any Honors section with a “Permit Request Required” notation:
Prior to attempting to register for one of these selected, high demand Honors sections, you will first need to request permission from the Honors College to enroll. Raiderlink will not allow you to register for any of the permit-required Honors sections without having first received a permit from an Honors advisor.
If you would indeed like to be considered for a permit to enroll in one (or more) of the selected, high-demand Honors sections – again, in the booklet have a “Permit Request Required” note – you will first need to submit the online Honors RRO Permit Request Form.
Prior to accessing, completing and submitting the online Honors RRO Permit Request Form, please be aware of the following:
- You must first devise a complete tentative Fall 2021 course schedule prior to submitting a request for a permit to enroll in any permit-required Honors section. This step is needed because we need to ensure your weekly course schedule in the fall will fit with the days/times of the chosen high-demand Honors course. If need be, please access information from the academic unit that houses your academic major – and/or consult your primary academic advisor – to receive details and instructions from that department in order to put together a complete tentative Fall 2021 course schedule.
- In addition to the details provided on the Honors RRO webpages, all incoming first-year Honors students can expect to receive, prior to their designated RRO Advising & Registration session, an email with information and instructions to request a permit for any non-FYE/standard Honors course(s) they would like to enroll.
- The aforementioned email will contain a link to an online Honors RRO Permit Request Form (PRF) along with details instructions. An incoming first-year Honors student would need to successfully submit the online PRF prior to three business-days before their designated RRO Advising & Registration session, should they like to potentially receive a permit to enroll in any permit-required non-FYE/standard Honors course(s) in Fall 2021.
- You can expect to be notified about the non-FYE/standard Honors course(s) in which you requested a permit by your designated RRO Advising & Registration session. You will either be issued a permit to enroll in the requested permit-required non-FYE/standard Honors course -or- (if a section is already filled) your name will be placed on the waitlist of that section, which is managed internally and thoroughly by the Honors College.
- During your designated RRO Advising & Registration session, you may register for the non-FYE/standard Honors course(s) for which you received a permit (and/or any Honors section that does not require a permit and still have open seats) as you would any other course. If your requested course has a lab and/or discussion section, you must register for those sections concurrently with the course itself. By way of reminder: within your Fall 2021 course schedule, you would also make sure you enroll in one Honors FYE section as well as its linked LCG section.
- IF YOU ARE PLACED ON A WAITLIST for a permit-required Honors section in Fall 2021: check your TTU email daily throughout the summer. We will send you notification if space becomes available for you, and you will need to send a response to our email confirming your acceptance of the offered seat within two days of receiving our notification, so please check your TTU email daily.
Incoming first-year Honors students are not required to meet with an Honors advisor before, during, or following your RRO Advising & Registration session date.
If you feel like you need assistance with anything related to the Honors College, please contact us via email (email@example.com). If you would like to request an appointment with an Honors advisor at any point during the summer, you make initiate that request via our online scheduling system, Genbook.